Wednesday 26 November 2008

Wednesday 26th November 2008

Stick to the estuary?

At lunchtime today I decided a long-overdue look around Bystock Reserve was in order. Last February the place was dripping with birds, including large numbers of Siskins and Redpolls, and sizeable tit flocks with associated species like Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Goldcrest, Chiffchaff and even a couple of Firecrests. Oh dear! Today the place was like a morgue. I struggled to see a few Redwings and a couple of Goldcrests. The only finches I saw were one Chaffinch and two Goldfinches. Had the usual Buzzard sightings and I heard invisible Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers. However that was it. Very disappointing. Maybe we will get some more birds when the winter has progressed a bit.
I was so jaded at the lack of avian delights, I soon took myself off to Mudbank Lane, where I knew I was going to see some birds! Sure enough, amongst the hoards of feathered friends I found a Spotted Redshank and a couple of Pale-bellied Brent Geese. A Greenshank was in the same creek as the 'spotshank'. Grey Plover were present in good numbers and quite a few Knot were visible. Phew! That's better. I then nipped back up to work, and found myself trying to keep up with a Peregrine which was flying over the main road heading in the same direction!

No comments: