Friday 23 January 2009

Friday 16th January 2009

Orcombe Point

A wander around the Orcombe Point area early afternoon was reasonable for seabirds, but the strong south-south-west wind made sure that any small passerines kept below cover! I pulled up at Foxholes Hill, kitted up and was immediately treated to views of a female Sparrowhawk circling round in the wind, being mobbed by gulls. I ambled along to the point where I took shelter behind my usual hedge, set my 'scope up and started scanning the sea. A few Guillemots and Razorbills passed by. A Red-throated Diver was found sat on the sea, just out from the obelisk, and shortly afterwards I found another further out. Only one Gannet (an adult) was seen and 5 Dark-bellied Brent Geese flew swiftly past. I was aware of some alarm calls given by a couple of Blackbirds and a Robin. I took my eye from the 'scope, and put up my bins, just in time to see a male Sparrowhawk hunting low over the hedgerows (as if the wind wasn't enough to keep the small birds hidden from view!). I was being buffeted a bit by the wind, despite hiding behind the hedge, so I wandered up to the High Land of Orcombe to check the top fields. Big mistake! The only birds I saw were a cock Pheasant, and a small flock of Redwings, the latter seemingly squat and glued to the ground, in an effort to keep out of the wind! I returned back to the point and had another brief seawatch for a few minutes. This time I was rewarded by the Red-throated Divers being still present on the sea, and best of all, a Black-throated Diver, which flew past close in, into the teeth of the wind. Time was called by a solitary Kittiwake drifting by. I then had to pack up and leave.
Yeartick today: Black-throated Diver.
Exmouth yearticks in addition to the above diver were: Red-throated Diver, Sparrowhawk, Pheasant, Guillemot, Razorbill & Kittiwake.

No comments: