Sunday 18 January 2009

Monday 12th January 2009

Gales and rain

A horrible day today, with the south-west gale still blowing, and rain and drizzle being blasted horizontally across the ground! I took myself up to Topsham Rec' at lunchtime, put on my wet-weather gear and ambled up the side of the Exe. A female Tufted Duck just off the Retreat was a Devon yeartick, and several Red-breasted Merganser were present on ther river too. A Common Sandpiper was seen again on the side of the river, presumably the same bird as I saw on January 7th. A male Stonechat put in an appearance in one of the adjoining gardens. I was wandering back down towards the play area, when a Water Pipit flew in and landed on the side of the river. This was my first this year. It didn't linger, and took off towards Exminster Marshes. By now I was getting rather damp, and the realisation of a damp patch forming by my left elbow, decided me on making a swift exit from the site, and taking shelter in the hide at Bowling Green Marsh!
On arrival, there seemed to be very little about of interest. The usual flock of Wigeon were supplemented by Mallard, Pintail, Teal and Shoveler. 8 Greylag Geese were seen to the right of the hide, but that was about it.

No comments: