Saturday 24 January 2009

Wednesday 21st January 2009

Orcombe and Maer Vale

Yes, that it the right spelling! I haven't got 2 left hands for typing! Maer Vale runs from the Maer on Exmouth seafront right the way up to Littleham village (which has now been swallowed up by the town of Exmouth). Maer Vale is a small tract of countryside flanking Exmouth on the east side, with a stream (Littleham Brook) running right down through the middle. I hope it never gets built on, as it is a haven for wildlife, albeit mainly common species! So an early afternoon trudge round from Orcombe Point, where I did a swift seawatch, up the coastpath to the High Land of Orcombe, then down through Gore Lane and into Maer Vale. 2 Red-throated Divers flew west off the point, and I got my first Exmouth Fulmar of the year. 2 Common Scoter were sat on the sea there, and two more flew past. I wandered up over the top fields, then down Gore Lane, where a flock of c. 60 Pied wagtails were feeding in a ploughed field, together with 4 or 5 Meadow Pipits. On reaching the stream in Maer Vale, I was lucky ehough to connect with my first 2 Mistle Thrushes of the year, anywhere. 28 Curlew were feeding in a grassy field, behind Foxholes Hill, and a Sparrowhawk flew low down the valley. On finally returning to the car, I was rewarded with another view of a Black-throated Diver, passing westwards towards Dawlish.
Yeartick: Mistle Thrush. Exmouth yearticks: Common Scoter, Fulmar, Meadow Pipit.

No comments: