Thursday 29 January 2009

Sunday 25th January 2009


An
Aftern-oon
Walk




Had an hour to spare this afternoon, so I drove over to Douglas Avenue, parked up, and took the footpath down over Littleham Brook, through Maer Vale up to Maer Lane. It was fairly quiet birdwise, despite the mainly sunny afternoon. A Great Spotted Woodpecker was calling near the stream and a flock of over 50 Chaffinches was given a good grilling for Brambling, to no avail! I saw that there was a small flock of Pied Wagtails in the ploughed field at the bottom of Gore Lane again, so I waited to see if anything else presented itself, as the birds kept popping up from deep in some furrow! A few Meadow Pipits were also present. However, all was revealed when a male Sparrowhawk flew low over the field!
There were twice as many wagtails and pipits as I thought there were, and also emerging out of the furrows were a couple of Skylarks, my first on the local patch this year. I carried on round, recrossed Littleham Brook, and eventually arrived back at the car, without seeing anything else of note. It was then time to go and pick Julia up from work.




No comments: