Saturday 18 January 2014

A walk from home

I don't get many birds in my garden nowadays. The local feline population seems to total about 50 mangy moggies at the moment. Short of shooting the darned things (something I would never contemplate, as I love all animals!) I am powerless to stop them entering my garden. Regrettably the damned things seem to like to crap on my lawn and I have seen which particular individuals do this. Luckily I keep a trowel and a flowerpot, and make sure the owners get their property back! The upshot of this plethora of felines means that most of the local bird population has been almost made extinct. I no longer feed the birds - all it does is lure the poor creatures in to their guaranteed deaths, as one of the cats will lie in wait, then pounce. One of the local families own at least 5 cats! Now who the hell needs 5 of the perishers! How can they afford them? Oh wait, of course, they feed off the local bird population........ However, despite this awful setback (I used to regulary get Bramblings and Siskins in my garden, and I've even had Black Redstart and Waxwings, now practically nothing), I only have to walk up the road about 250yards and I can can see such nice birds as Nuthatch & Treecreeper. After the torrential rain eased off a bit late afternoon today I duly wandered round my local area. I was soon seeing Great, Blue and Coal Tits and Greenfinches, Goldfinches and Chaffinches. Sometimes it's just nice to watch these commoner birds and today was no exception. After a while I saw a Great Spotted Woodpecker, and shortly after, in Marley Road, I came across my first Blackcap of the year. This one was a female and was pecking at an apple still yet to fall from its tree! I was now in danger of loosing the light quickly, so I retraced my steps and also enjoyed the usual Robins, Blackbirds and Song Thrushes!

No comments: