Monday 6 January 2014

More weather - or not?

It stopped raining sometime in the early hours. So today we had a change - severe gales, high spring tides and colossal showers which chucked down as much rain as all the other days, but in prolonged extremely heavy downpours! I took a break from work at lunchtime and covered a few Exmouth birding locations in the car. It was impossible to go for a walk - after 5 minutes of sun, it would be pissing down again! I stopped by the Exe estuary at the back of the station and quickly added (and not before time either) Great Crested Grebe to my Year list. Next stop - the seafront, where my car was buffeted about by the wind. Added Gannet to my Exmouth Year list, but failed to see much else in very choppy brown seas! Popped up to Foxholes Hill, where I thought my lovely car was going to be blown over! I Year-ticked Kestrel (again, at long last) and quickly moved on down to Mudbank Lane, where it was just a tiddly bit less lively. I looked across Warren View football pitches where there were many feeding gulls. Amongst them I picked up my best bird of the day, and another Year tick - a perfect winter-plumaged adult Mediterranean Gull! Mudbank itself just produced more driving rain, so keeping a close eye on the time, I decided I'd better get back to work!

No comments: