Wednesday 18 February 2009

Sunday 8th February 2009

Out in the Rain

I don't know about you, but I don't like being cooped up indoors for too long! So, when it decided to drizzle/rain lightly all day today, by the afternoon I was champing at the bit to get outside! I zipped down to Mudbank Lane where the tide was gradually rising. I managed to keep my optics fairly dry, but there wasn't a lot to be seen, the resident Greenshank being the highlight. There was acold south-westerly breeze blowing, so the drizzle was catching me in the face! I decided to have a walk around Maer Vale, so I drove up to Douglas Avenue, parked the car and wandered down the footpath to Maer Farm, seeing a few Long-tailed Tits on the way. Here there was a little more in the way of shelter from the rain. I had a Great Spotted Woodpecker by the side of Littleham Brook, in a dead elm, and a small party of Chaffinches brightened up the scenery, especially the males which are now showing bright breeding plumage! However, there no Brambling amongst them, a species I have not caught up with yet this year in Exmouth. I wandered up Maer Lane, then cut down through, recrossing the brook, slithering and sliding in the mud! A Jay flew over, again adding a splash of colour. By now the rain was getting a little more persistent, and I was getting a little damper and colder. Luckily it was time to go and pick up my good lady from work, so I arrived back at Douglas Avenue, packed my (damp) kit in the car, and arrived in good time.

No comments: