Tuesday 3 February 2009

Thursday 29th January 2009

Cold and Windy!

I visited Orcombe Point today, but immediately thought it a daft thing to do, as I arrived and found the wind howling in very cold from the south-east, straight off the sea. Now, out on the point I usually seawatch from behind some clifftop bushes which give me some protection when the wind is coming anywhere from the west. Easterlies mean a darned good buffeting, and trying to hold on to your tripod and telescope! Such was the weather today, I soon retreated back to the car. A Red-throated Diver passing south-west was the highlight. What did seem rather funny was a party of 10 Long-tailed Tits passing through the bushes by my side, right in the teeth of the strong wind. The bushes were being blown all over the place, so as you can see the smallest bird in the UK (if you remove its tail!) is very resilient!
I soon found myself down at Mudbank Lane where it seemed a bit calmer. However there wasn't much to be seen here, save the resident Greenshank again. It was one of those days you just have to put down to experience!

No comments: