Monday 2 February 2009

Wednesday 28th January 2009

Another Local Patch Yeartick

A fairly mild day with a southerly breeze and plenty of sunshine. I popped back into Exmouth at lunchtime and wandered round the Shelly Beach area, but there wasn't much to be seen save for a couple of Goldeneye just offshore. So I popped round to Mudbank lane, where I set up my 'scope and had a look over the railway line. A Greenshank was present as usual in the channel through the mudflats. 7 Knot were seen a little farther out. I was just about to head back to work, when I thought I'd better check out the gulls in front of me. Luckily I did, because I was soon looking at an adult Mediterranean Gull in winter plumage. It was loafing on the mudflats with a group of about 100 Black-headed and a couple of Common Gulls. This was my first on the local patch this year, and took my patch yearlist up to 101 species.
After work I popped up to Bystock reserve and had a quick zoom round before it got dark. I heard a Green Woodpecker calling near the top end of the reserve, and later had a Great Spotted Woodpecker flying over near the lake. However I saw nothing else of note until I got back to the car, where a Marsh Tit flew into the trees by the car, and started calling loudly (presumably to make sure I had seen it!).

No comments: