Wednesday 25 February 2009

Thursday 12th February 2009

Another Patch Yeartick

A quiet stroll along the cycle track at Mudbank Lane was the order of the day, or should I say lunchtime! The usual scene greeted me as I alighted from the car - several Shelduck, lots of Redshank, Curlew, Oystercatchers and a few each of Grey Plover, Dunlin, Little Egrets and of course, a multitude of gulls. I wandered along as far as West Lodge, where upon I found another local patch yeartick in the form of a Common Snipe, resting on the edge of the reedy pool. This pool always looks like it could produce something interesting, but I have yet to see anything unusual here. I think that the disturbance from the adjoining cycle track probably has something to do with it, but there again, on quiet days like today (hence Common Snipe) I'm sure if I keep plugging it, other birds will appear. It has the potential of being a nice little (with the emphasis on little) reserve. If it was screened off from the cycle track and a walkway put in along the side to a viewing screen............I'm getting carried away here!
I had a look out over the estuary from adjacent to West Lodge and was pleased to find a Great Crested Grebe and a female Goldeneye offshore. A Green Woodpecker called from the trees behind me. I then found a tiny group of 7 Knot shuffling around out on the tideline.
Having another look at the Common Snipe, I returned to the car, and thence work.

No comments: